Friday, January 1, 2010

the plan

So I guess it’s time to let you in on my little plan. I think there will be some rambling here as I sort my thoughts, so be patient. : )

The first diet I ever did was the Weigh Down Diet. Basically the physical mechanics of this diet are:

  • eat half of your normal portion at each meal
  • do not eat if you are not hungry
  • wait for physical hunger to kick in before eating anything
  • eat slowly, put your fork down between bites, and drink during the meal

But there is a whole other layer to this approach, which is the best part. When I used this diet before, it was very eye opening to me just how much I was using food to fill a void in my heart that only God can fill. And I think through the years, I tend to forget as I nibble a little here and eat a little extra there that eventually I’m right back where I started - using food in a way it was never intended to be used. It can become kind of like a god to me. I think about it. Crave it. Want it. Wonder when I can rendezvous with it the next time. Enjoy it’s company when I’ve had a bad day. Do you get the picture here?

Having said that, there are some things in the WDD that I don’t really agree with. She says to eat ANYTHING you want, as long as it falls under the parameters of hunger and polite fullness. Including bacon and chocolate. As a matter of fact, when I did this diet the first time, I tested out the bacon theory and ate about a pound of bacon within a few days. And yes, I did lose weight that week, just like all the others.

I certainly don’t recommend eating bacon. But on the other hand, I am not saying I totally avoid it either. Just keepin’ it real here girls. What I am saying is that I want to use these eating guidelines along with the idea of making smarter choices at the table in the first place.

I am planning on using the parameters of hunger and polite fullness to be my guide as I strive to eat less. I am also going to try to do without snacking. Most of the time I was just eating and wasn’t hungry… so unless I am HUNGRY, I will try not to snack. Like last night… I did have a snack later after dinner…but I had eaten a very light dinner and was feeling a hunger pang. I didn’t want to wake up feeling awful because I went to bed already hungry, so it is ok to eat a little something. So I did.

One of the things she encourages with this diet is to run to God and let HIM fill you through prayer and His word when you’re wanting to eat just to eat and aren’t hungry.

*A disclaimer: I am not a total fan of the Weigh Down Diet. Nor am I a “Gwen Shamblin groupie”. I know she has some spiritual ideas that many find questionable and I’m not going to get into that. I am just taking bits and pieces of what worked for me…both physically and spiritually… along with common sense to create something that I hope will work for me.

Next time… my issues with mainstream dieting, and the head games that go along with them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very interested in reading more Kay.

    I was going to join Weight watchers this next week. I've seen how it has really worked for a couple of friends of mine, and I want to change my life like they did.
    It really is...a lifestyle change...and I'm trying to remember that it's forever...not just until I loose some weight.
    I've already proven to myself that, When I loose weight, I always gain it back double.
    And SOMETHING has to change here...because I have such a huge diversity of disease in my family. I'm just a glutton...and the clock is tickin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to see how you do. I know different things work for different people. I kind of envy people who don't constantly have to monitor what they eat or worry about their weight, but then I have to realize that we all have weaknesses, and there are many that are more serious than mine. Anyway, best wishes in your weight-loss endeavors. I'm back on my own journey, trying to get a few pounds off. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay - I like the sound of this plan. I am going to try this as well. I have definitely been eating too much and for the wrong reasons and not feeling good about it. Thanks for sharing your endeavor with us all.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so go for it! : )